Farm to Glass: Lavender Gin Sour
A classic Gin Sour with a lavender farm twist.
Working on a lavender farm is a dreamy and enchanting experience that immerses you in the beauty and fragrance of nature. From tending to the vibrant purple blooms to harvesting the delicate flowers, the work is rewarding, captivating and definitely helps relieve my stress while surrounded by the beautiful aroma. In this post, we will explore a fun way to incorporate our fresh lavender into your next cocktail. Get ready to embark on a sensory journey that combines the joys of nature, labor, and a well-deserved drink.
Spending time on the lavender farm offers a connection with nature like no other. From the moment you step into the rows, you're enveloped by the sweet, calming aroma of lavender. As you tend to the plants, caring for their growth and ensuring their well-being, you develop a deep appreciation for the hard work that goes into cultivating these beautiful flowers. Being located in Northern British Columbia, caring for these plants in a colder climate involves many extra steps and precautions to ensure they last through our harsh winters.
In my opinion, harvesting the lavender for recipes is one of the most rewarding tasks (because you know there is a super tasty treat in your future that features the fragrant flowers). When the lavender is in full bloom, you carefully cut the stems, mindful of preserving the blooms' integrity and fragrance. The act of harvesting is both satisfying and meditative, as you witness the culmination of your efforts in the form of beautiful, aromatic lavender bundles. The sight and scent of freshly harvested lavender evoke a sense of accomplishment and anticipation for the delights that await.
Now lets get into that recipe.
- 1.5 oz Empress Gin
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- ¾ oz lavender-infused simple syrup
- 1tbsp egg white
- Freshly harvested lavender sprigs (for garnish and syrup)
- To create the lavender-infused simple syrup, combine equal parts water and granulated sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add a few sprigs of freshly harvested lavender. Let it steep for 15-20 minutes, then strain and let it cool.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the gin, fresh lemon juice, lavender-infused simple syrup, and egg white then dry shake vigorously for 30 seconds to create the perfect foam
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for about 20-30 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a fresh sprig of lavender for an aromatic touch.
- Sip and savour the Lavender Gin Sour, appreciating the harmony between your hard work on the lavender farm which resulted in the perfect blend of flavours in your glass.